Như các bạn đã biết, Hometown là một trong những chủ đề siêu hay gặp trong IELTS Speaking Part 1. Trong bài này, Ms Kiều Anh từ ITN sẽ giới thiệu cho các bạn những từ vựng band điểm cao chủ đề này nhé.
1. Các danh từ miêu tả cho thành phố
- Heart of the city= city center = downtown: Khu trung tâm thành phố
E.g: I really want to live in heart of the city because this is the place which happens the most important events.
- Shopping centre = Shopping mall: A group of shops/stores built together, sometimes under one roof – Khu trung tâm mua sắm
E.g 1: There are a variety of shopping centres in Ha Noi where I can buy anything.
E.g 2: I usually go to the shopping mall near where I live so that I can buy the most beautiful clothes.
- High – rise flat: A building that is very tall and has a lot of floors – Căn hộ nhiều tầng
E.g: Most of my friends live in high – rise flats where there are a lot of other families living.
- Sprawling city: /ˈsprɔːlɪŋ/ A city that has grown over time and which covers a wide area – Thành phố lớn.
E.g: I am going to visit a sprawling city in Japan which is very beautiful and attracts thousands of tourists because of its beauty at night.
- Office block: A large building that contains offices – Tòa nhà văn phòng
E.g: I am working in an office block with all the mod cons.
- Multi – story car park: Car parks on several floors – Bãi đỗ xe có nhiều tầng
E.g: Most office blocks have multi – story car parks so that they can have enough places for vehicles of all workers.
- Chain store: Well-known brands with shops in multiple cities – Chuỗi cửa hàng đồ hiệu
E.g: One of the most well – known chain stores throughout the world is Walmart.
- Fashionable boutique: /ˈfæʃnəbl/ – /buːˈtiːk/ Fashionable clothes shops – Cửa hàng thời trang
E.g: When you go to Ha Noi, you will see a number of beautiful fashionable boutiques but the price is exorbitant.
- Upmarket shop: Expensive fashionable shops – Cửa hàng đồ hiệu
E.g: Do you know Louis Vuitton, one of the most well – known upmarket shops in Germany?
- Places of interest: buildings that have a particular interest for visitors – địa điểm thu hút khách du lịch
E.g: I know many places of interest in Ha Noi where you certainly like when you come there.
- Lively bars/restaurants: Bars or restaurants with a good atmosphere – Quán bar, nhà hàng sinh động.
E.g: Young customers are passionate about lively bars because their atmosphere is very wonderful.
- The rat race: /ðə ˈræt reɪs/ – The way of life of people living and working in a large city where people compete in an aggressive way with each other in order to be more successful, earn more money – Lối sống chạy đua nhau
E.g: The novel is about a couple who get out of the rat race and buy a farm in France.
2. Các danh từ miêu tả cho vùng nông thôn
- Suburb = Outskirt: /ˈsʌbɜːb/ – /ˈaʊtskɜːts/ An area where people live that is outside the centre of a city – Vùng ngoại ô, hai từ này hai được dùng theo cụm như sau:
- In the suburbs = On the outskirts of + a place
Có hai lưu ý mình muốn chia sẻ với các bạn khi sử dụng cụm từ này, đó là: Các bạn cần lưu ý về giới từ đi kèm với 2 từ này, mặc dù có nghĩa giống nhau nhưng trước “suburb” phải sử dụng giới từ “IN”, còn trước “outskirts” được sử dụng trước giới từ “ON” và các từ “suburb” và “outskirt” được sử dụng trong cụm từ này luôn ở dạng số nhiều
E.g: They live on the outskirts of Ha Noi which has tons of people.
= They live in the suburbs of Ha Noi which has tons of people.
- Out – of town shopping centre/ retail park: large shopping centres outside of the town or city – Khu trung tâm mua sắm lớn ngoài thành phố
E.g: My hometown has an out – of town shopping centre which attracts a number of visitors each year.
- Inner-city: The central part of a city where people live and where conditions are often poor – Vùng nội thành
- Poor housing: Housing that is not in good condition – Khu nhà ở tồi tàn
E.g: Most people in Africa still live in poor housing.
- Local facility: Local buildings or services serving the public – Cơ sở vật chất tại địa phương
E.g: The government should upgrade local facilites so that residents can benefit from better services.
- Residential area: /ˌrezɪˈdenʃl/ – An area where people live – Khu dân cư
E.g: I live in a residential area which has just repaired and now it becomes a really beautiful and modern place.
- Neighbourhood: /ˈneɪbəhʊd/ – Vùng lân cận
E.g: We grew up in the same neighbourhood.
3. Danh từ miêu tả các loại phương tiện giao thông trong “Hometown”
- Public transport: Phương tiện công cộng
E.g: Public transport helps cities to reduce traffice jam, so the government should upgrade it.
- Traffic conjestion = Traffic jam: /kənˈdʒestʃən/ – Ùn tắc giao thông
E.g: Traffic jam is a big challenge that most developing countries are solving.
- Rush hour: /ˈrʌʃ aʊə(r)/ – Giờ cao điểm
E.g: Don’t travel at rush hour because it wastes a huge amount of time.
- Bus route: Tuyến đường xe buýt
E.g: The house is not on a bus route.
- Underground system/subway: /ˌʌndəˈɡraʊnd/ / /ˈsʌbweɪ/ – Xe lửa ngầm
E.g: I am taking a subway to go to Washington DC.
4. Một số danh từ khác để mô tả hometown
- Pavement café: /ˈpeɪvmənt/ /ˈkæfeɪ/ – Cà phê vỉa hè
E.g: Pavement café is an ideal place for those who want to hang out with their friends.
- Tourist attraction: A place of interest to tourists – Địa điểm thu hút khách du lịch
E.g: Da Nang is the tourist attraction where there are tons of people not only local visitors but also foreigners coming each year.
- Boarded up shops: Shops that are no longer doing business – Cửa hàng không còn kinh doanh
E.g: There are a lot of boarded up shops near where I live.
- Cost of living: Chi phí sinh hoạt
E.g: Despite the high cost of living, London is a greate place to live.
- Pace of life: Nhịp sống
E.g: I prefer the relaxed pace of life in the countryside.
- Sense of community: Tính cộng đồng
E.g: I enjoy living in the countryside because they have a sense of community.
- Overcrowding: /ˌəʊvəˈkraʊdɪŋ – Đông dân
E.g: Living in overcrowding is really uncomfortable in terms of traffic jam.
5. Một số động từ liên quan đến chủ đề “Hometown”
- To close down: To stop doing business – Ngừng hoạt động kinh doanh
E.g: Some out – of – town shopping centres in my hometown have to close down because there are a few customers.
- To get around: To travel around – Đi loanh quanh
E.g: There is a fanstastic public transport system in Ha Noi, so it is very easy to get around.
6. Tính từ miêu tả “Hometown”
- Quiet = Peaceful = Tranquil: /ˈtræŋkwɪl/ Yên bình
E.g: Most people want to live in a tranquil contryside because it can make people to reduce stress in their life.
- Green: Xanh, hay đi kèm với danh từ “city” – Green city: thành phố xanh
E.g: While some parts of Ha Noi are industrial, it is still a green city which is an ideal place for everyone to live.
- Lively = bustling = vibrant /ˈlaɪvli/ – /ˈbʌslɪŋ/ – /ˈvaɪbrənt/ Sinh động, rộn ràng, nhộn nhịp
E.g: Da Nang is a vibrant city worth living. That is the reason why there are a lot of people wanting to live there.
- Industrial (hay cụm industrial zone): (thuộc) khu công nghiệp
E.g: If you live in an industrial zone, it is very risky for your health because you have to breathe in a polluted air.
- Provincial: /prəˈvɪnʃl/ Thuộc về tỉnh
E.g: My hometown is a provincial town but it has changed a lot during the last five years.
- Historic: /hɪˈstɒrɪk/ Có tính chất lịch sử, được ghi vào lịch sử
E.g: My hometown has many historic places such as …., so it attracts many tourists from all walks of life.
- Cosmopolitan: /ˌkɒzməˈpɒlɪtən/ Containing people of different types or from different countries, and influenced by their culture – Thuộc toàn thế giới, thuộc quốc tế
E.g: Ha Noi is a cosmopolitan city
Nguồn: Tổng hợp và sưu tầm