Trong Speaking Task 1, chúng ta sẽ được hỏi những câu hỏi về bản thân, gia đình, bạn bè. Một trong những chủ đề để “ăn điểm” chính là ngoài miêu tả về ngoại hình thì hãy chèn thêm những tính từ miêu tả về tính cách, giúp cho bài nói thêm sinh động và hấp dẫn nhé. Trong bài viết hôm nay, ITN đã tổng hợp lại 1 số tính từ thuộc Topic này để các bạn dễ tham khảo trong quá trình ôn luyện IELTS:
• to be the life and soul of the party: một người vui tính và thường là trung tâm của những cuộc vui
E.g: She was having a very enjoyable time and was clearly the life and soul of the party.
• to bend over backwards: cố gắng để giúp đỡ người khác
E.g: Mann insisted that he bent over backwards to be objective in presenting the story.
• broad-minded: cởi mở
E.g: At 70 she was surprisingly broad-minded.
• easy-going: thoải mái đầu óc, không suy nghĩ gì cả
E.g: an easy-going attitude/manner
a friendly, easy-going type of guy
• extrovert: người hướng ngoại
E.g: Most sales people are extroverts.
• fair-minded: suy nghĩ công bằng
E.g: He is perhaps not a very strong man, but he is hard-working, wellinformed, and fair-minded.
• fun-loving: thích vui chơi, tụ tập
E.g: Her friends describe her as fun-loving and energetic.
• to hide one’s light under a bushel: giấu tài, giấu nghề
E.g: Don’t give up drawing! You’re a talented artist and shouldn’t hide your light under a bushel.
• good company: thoải mái khi chơi cùng
E.g: You’ll like Rosie – she’s good company.
• good sense of humour: vui tính
E.g: She has a really good sense of humour.
• introvert: người hướng nội
E.g: Jackson’s performance impressed me as introverted and concentrated.
• laid-back: dễ dãi
E.g: I’ve never seen her worried or anxious in any way – she’s so laid-back.
• to lose one’s temper: lên cơn nóng tính
E.g: The children behaved so badly that I lost my temper.
• narrow minded: cô lập, khép kín
E.g: narrow-minded opinions/views
a narrow-minded person
• painfully shy: rất ngại ngùng
E.g: When I was a kid I was painfully shy, so it was hard for me to make friends.
• to put others first: nghĩ cho người khác trước
E.g: She all too often puts others first and never stops to think of herself.
• quick-tempered: nổi giận
E.g: He could be quick-tempered with those who opposed him.
• reserved: xấu hổ
E.g: The English have a reputation for being reserved.
• self-assured: tự tin
E.g: The interview showed her as a self-assured and mature student.
• self-centred: chỉ suy nghĩ cho bản thân
E.g: Robert is a self-centred, ambitious, and bigoted man.
• self-confident: tin vào người khác
E.g: At school he was popular and self-confident, and we weren’t surprised at his later success.
• self-effacing: giấu giếm tài năng, sống ẩn thân
E.g: The captain was typically self-effacing when questioned about the team’s successes, giving credit to the other players.
• to take after: giống ai đó (trong gia đình)
E.g: He takes after his mother/his mother’s side of the family.
• thick-skinned: không dễ bị ảnh hưởng
E.g: You do need to be thick-skinned to survive as a politician here.
• trustworthy: có thể tin tưởng được
E.g: In this job we need someone who is entirely honest and trustworthy.
• two-faced: hai mặt, nói xấu sau lưng
E.g: I don’t trust her – I suspect she’s a bit two-faced.
• Self-absorbed: ích kỉ, chỉ biết đến lợi ích của bản thân
E.g: Henry is so self-absorbed it’s a miracle anyone bothers with him at all.
• Self-reliant: tự lập, không dựa dẫm vào ai khác
E.g: From early boyhood he learned the lesson of sturdy self-reliance.
• Self-conscious: lo lắng, xấu hổ về một điều gì khác
E.g: He looked uncomfortable, like a self-conscious adolescent.
• Well-behaved: biết cách cư xử
E.g: The crowd was very well behaved.
• Well-dressed: biết cách ăn mặc, mặc đẹp
E.g: The woman stayed at home, brought up the children, put meals on the table, washed his clothes and ensured that her husband was well-dressed.
• Well-informed: có kiến thức về một lĩnh vực nào đó
E.g: He was well informed and shrewd, with good, calm judgment.
• handy: tháo vát
E.g: Jonathan’s good at putting up wallpaper, but he’s not so handy with a paintbrush.
• thoughtful: chu đáo
E.g: Thank you for calling when I was ill – it was very thoughtful of you.
• moody: hay có tâm trạng
E.g: He was moody, quarrelsome and indifferent to her and their son.
• affectionate: trìu mến
E.g: He’s an affectionate little boy.
• hot-tempered: nóng tính
E.g: She was nothing more than a hot-tempered child with a woman’s body.
• cruel: độc ác
E.g: Children can be very cruel to each other.
• impatient: thiếu kiên nhẫn
E.g: You’d be hopeless taking care of children – you’re far too impatient!
• nervous: căng thẳng
E.g: She’s always been nervous around dogs.
• shy: bẽn lẽn, thẹn thùng
E.g: He was too shy to ask her to dance with him.
• talkative: nói nhiều
E.g: She’s a lively, talkative person.
• silly: ngu ngốc
E.g: It was silly of you to go out in the sun without a hat.
• unintelligent: không được thông minh
E.g: He is lazy, unintelligent, and rude.
• suspicious: hay nghi ngờ
E.g: My mother has a very suspicious nature.
• insensitive: vô tâm
E.g: The police have been criticized for being insensitive to complaints from the public.
• arrogant: kiêu căng
E.g: I watched the interview and thought he seemed quite arrogant.
• unsociable: không hòa đồng
E.g: Terry was grumpy and unsociable.
• irritable: dễ cáu kỉnh
E.g: Be careful what you say – he’s rather irritable today.
• selfish/ mean: ích kỷ, keo kiệt
E.g: She never considers anyone but herself – she’s totally selfish.
• serious: nghiêm túc
E.g: Please don’t laugh – I’m being serious.
• strict: nghiêm khắc
E.g: My parents were very strict with me when I was young.